Changes
February 27, 2006
The only thing constant in this life is change. Right when I start getting the hang of something, it changes. I went from having totally self sufficient kids back to a totally reliant newborn. I’ve gone from YW President to Relief Society Instructor, to Primary Chorister within the last 4 months. The hardest change though is when basketball season ends.
The beginning of basketball season is hard to get used to. Joe is gone all the time and we miss him at dinnertime. We then adjust to the change and life moves on. We spend the season attending home games, entertaining the team with Pacman and Frogger, and lots and lots of food! We anxiously watch the 10 O’Clock news to see the score of the away games and then try to get some shut eye. Our lives revolve completely around the season and the boys on the team.
This year we had a tough season and very unique circumstances. Two of the boys, Lucky and Jake, looked to Joe as a father figure as well as a coach. You can only imagine how complicated that got. Lucky was abandoned by his father as a toddler and his mother as a junior high kid. Jake ran away from his home in Florida because he was in a dangerously abusive home. Needless to say, these 2 boys have been at the center of our lives this past season. It wasn’t rare to have the phone ring at 11pm or 2am from them.
We ended the season with only 5 wins and too many losses to count. Rumors are spreading like wildfire that Coach Jessop will be fired. A friend who used to be a coach’s wife gave me some great advice. She said, “You decide how much energy you will waste worrying about it…because it is wasted energy no matter what happens.” Even though the score showed a losing season, we felt like it was a winning season. We went into Divisional Tournament strong and determined. The team came together and worked harder than ever. The first game we lost to Dillon by almost 12 points. It was a tight game but got away from us in the end. We then went to the elimination game in the loser’s bracket rated as the #6 team in the conference. We were up against Anaconda, the #1 seed who had somehow gotten defeated their first game. WE WON!!!! It was the most amazing game! I listened to it on the radio since I couldn’t go to Dillon. We sent the number one team home! As soon as the game was over, Joe called on the cell phone and the whole team yelled their victory cries to me. It was exhilarating! The final game we were up against Dillon again. We missed our last shot and lost by only three points!!!! Oh, the agony of coming so close! Joe returned home solemn yet relieved that the pressure of the season was finally over.
Now we head into the hardest part of the season for me. Joe is still distracted and we still have to host another conference tournament here in our gym. His work is never quite done. I want life to get back to normal but what exactly is normal? I have missed him so much but he is still inaccessible to me but in theory shouldn’t be. I always have a hard time adjusting from the “high” of the season. But as with everything in life, I look forward and try to embrace the change. In a few weeks, Joe will be back mentally and physically and then I will be trying to adjust to him being home again. Isn’t life crazy?
Jansen has finished up his Jump Rope season so no more waking up at 6:15 anymore. We get to sleep in till 7:15!! Woohoo! Carlie is the biggest help with Kristen and helps make my life bearable. Will has finally recuperated from all his funky flu bugs and is bouncing off the walls. Kristen is 4 months old and headed to the Dr. for her checkup tomorrow. As for me, I feel as though I am just trying to keep up with everyone. This last week with it being tournament time left me exhausted and longing for a vacation. As a famous country song says, “Some Beach…Some Where!” As my hands get pruny from the soapy dish water, the freezing rain pours, the baby is crying, the kids are wild, and my husband is at the last Griz game of the season. I close my eyes and dream of my fantasy world of warm sun on my face and a day at the beach all by myself. Sometimes life gets too hectic but I smile because I know that that too will eventually change!
Keep on blogging!
-allie

1 Comments:
Allie, Don't know how you do it! Keep on truckin' sister!
Glad to hear things are settling in though!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home