Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Living in the Gym

It's that time of year again where I feel like we live in a gym. The basketball season is in full swing now. I only attend home games but lately, that is all we have had. After every home game we have the team over for brownies, cookies, cream puffs, etc. Needless to say I have been kept quite busy. Thankfully the Gwynn's helped me with the last game's refreshments. Our team is struggling this year..(do I sound like a broken record?) However, we had our first win against Ronan on Friday! Yippee! We then lost to Ananconda-boo! (the best team in the state with point guard Racci Estes-nephew of the late and great Wayne Estes). Tonight we play Darby so we had better win!
Saturday was especially crazy since both girls and boys teams played. We were in and out of the gym from 11am - 10 pm. Kristen hit melt down around 8pm. I hit melt down shortly after. I had a severe case of bleacher-butt(excuse the expression). The other 3 kids had a wonderful time and I'm pretty sure would not protest if we set up pillows and blankets for them to spend the night. (LOL!) After the game, we had the team over and played Pacman and Frogger!! (Our satellite tv is broken so that was the next best thing to ESPN...I hope the satellite stays out a while longer)
Living in the gym comes with severe consequences though. Sunday evening we started yet another puke fest while over at the Gwynns after watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Carlie puked all over Dan and Brenda's carpet and trailed into the bathroom. The bathroom looked like an explosion of pink paint after she was done. (Sorry to be so graphic) And of course I had worn by brand new white NIKE tennis shoes which now were pink too. No sooner had we got Carlie cleaned up that Will decided to join in on the fun. He had diarrhea and was puking at the same time. We were literally walking out the door when all this happened so Kristen was out in the minivan. Once I realized that Will would be a while we brought her back in. When Will gave the OK, we headed out the door with a ziploc bag and hurried home. By the time we got home, both Carlie and Will were ready for round two. But at least we were now in our own home. That night continued with Will and Carlie puking every 30-40 minutes for seven hours straight!!!! I finally got to bed at 6 am. I kept Jansen home from school so he could help take care of Kristen who had thankfully slept through the night!
It turns out that all the kids who had been in the gym Friday and Saturday were all home with the same yuck! Can you believe it? Well the plan was for Jansen to return to school at lunch time and then walk home after school. I finally got Kristen, Will, Carlie, and myself to bed at 1 in the afternoon(after watching Sky High..2 thumbs way, way up!) . When I awoke at 5:15 pm to our silent and dark home, the kids were still resting but one thing was missing....JANSEN! Okay, I am not ashamed to say that I went into total freak out mode! I called everyone I could think of and unfortunately put a few more people in freak out mode. Finally I called Joe's brother Ed and he mentioned that maybe Joe had taken Jansen to the freshman basketball game. He said he would go check. Our caller ID beeped and lo and behold it was Jansen! He said that the school had told him that he was supposed to go to the high school after school to practice with Joe's team. He assumed the message had come from me and not Joe. It wasn't until 5:30 that Jansen realized I didn't know where he was so he called right away. I said a prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father and continued taking care of the kids. Unfortunately, Jansen woke up at 1 am throwing up too. His hasn't lasted as long though and he insisted on not missing his 2 tests today.
Looking back, I don't know why I was so surprised that the kids got sick. I also should have assumed that Jansen was with his dad. Afterall...we live in the gym!
Love, Allie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home