Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Notes in Our Spiritual Suitcase



With the passing of President Hinckley, I have paused to reflect on the impact the prophet had on my life. I never got to meet him or shake hands with him...but I already miss him!

As Joe was packing to go on his first business trip, I wrote notes and hid them throughout his suitcase. I put a note in his shoes which was a note of encouragement to begin his first day. I tucked some silly love notes in his workout clothes. I put some of my favorite scriptures in his shaving kit and some favorite quotes in his carry-on. I also wrote a note which he was instructed to display on the tv in his hotel room that said, "Return with Honor". I wanted to make sure that he didn't forget how much he is loved!

Throughout our lives, we have been left notes in our spiritual suitcases through the prophets that have lived in our lifetime. Spencer W. Kimball left the note that said, "DO IT!" President Benson left notes saying "Beware of Pride" and "Read the Book of Mormon". President Hinckley has now left this earth but I feel as if I continue to find spiritual notes from him too. In the largest letters, I have posted these words on my proverbial TV as a reminder to "Be Better" and "Go Forward with Faith". His optimism reminds me of the reason we are here on earth. President Gordon B. Hinckley was a prophet who embraced our similarities rather than distance us with our differences. He understood the world we lived in and used modern technology to further the work of the Lord.

Do you know how I found out about his death? One of the kids I tutor, text-messaged it to me! How our world has changed! I then confirmed the news by checking dad's e-mail and then finally going to www.lds.org. Although I was caught off guard by the news, I was so happy to know that he would finally be reunited with his sweet wife Marjorie. I cried during his funeral services looking at the empty chair we were so used to him sitting in. I cried again as friends and family shared sweet memories of him. The most touching part however was the program on his life which was shown as they were headed to the cemetery. What an awesome man and incredible life of accomplishments!

How thankful I am to a loving Father in Heaven who gives us living prophets in these latter days. President Hinckley was my September 11th prophet. I was in the midst of my anxiety disorder when the twin towers were attacked. I thought for sure the world was going to end. Then we heard the sweet, reassuring, and comforting words from our prophet and I knew that all would be well!

My spiritual suitcase is filled with notes that remind me how much I am loved. I can hardly wait to see what kind of notes will be left by our Heavenly Father through the new President Thomas S. Monson!

love, allie

1 Comments:

Blogger DotteeO said...

Thanks Allie for sharing your feelings about Pres. Hinckley. I can't tell you how often his words comforted me and lifted me up from feelings of fear and even, at times, despair.
Yes, he left us with lots of love notes!
Hugs, mom

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home